This recipe comes from the Everyday Gourmet by Gerry Galvin, formerly of Drimcong House.
The suggestion is to serve it with some crusty bread, but we sometimes serve it with some good old-fashioned mash! It makes it a quirky take on a ‘bangers and mash’ dinner! This quantity will serve 4.
Ingredients (and approx. costs):
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 275 g good quality pork sausages – cut into 2.5 cm pieces (€3.50)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (€0.50)
- 425 g can chickpeas (€0.85)
- 400 g can tomatoes (€0.50)
- 150 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Fry sausages over medium heat for 3 minutes.
Add onion and continue to fry for a further 3 minutes, tossing and shaking as you go.
Add chickpeas, tomatoes, stock and salt and pepper.
Bring to the boil. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
Stir in the parsley.
Serve in deep bowl with crusty brown bread and butter. Or alternatively, serve with mash.
And as you can see (presuming you have basic store cupboard ingredients), the cost of this mid-week dinner for 4 is €5.35! Not bad value at all.