We have been asked so many times what is the best way to cook Roast Pork. So here is how we do it. Bear in mind that this is for free-range pork. We don’t use shop pork so I cannot advise on cooking for that.
- First weigh your piece of pork.
- Heat oven to 220 C/ 420 F.
- Score the skin of your pork using a very sharp knife.
- Dry the skin of your pork really really well using kitchen paper – try to dry down into the scoring you have made.
- Place your pork on a rack in your oven tray.
- Sprinkle skin generously with salt – you cannot over do this!
- Put into oven for about 20 minutes at this high temperature.
- Reduce heat to 170 C/340 F and cook for 35 minutes per lb.
Watch this video to see how we score the pork to get the most delicious crackling!
As an aside – roast potatoes are delicious cooked in any fat that will drip down into the tray!